- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
Read This Before You Head to the Track!
As you plan your trip to Churchill Downs for Kentucky Derby weekend, be sure to review the list of items that a permitted and those that cannot be brought into the racing facility.
Familiar hospitality and safety procedures will be in place at Churchill Downs for the 138th runnings of the Kentucky Oaks on Friday, May 4 and Kentucky Derby on Saturday, May 5. Oaks and Derby patrons are advised to arrive at the track early to accommodate search procedures at all entrance gates. All patrons are subject to magnetic wand scans before entry to the track on Derby and Oaks Days.
Admission gates (1, 3, 10 and 17) will be open on Oaks (May 4) & Derby (May 5) days at 8 a.m. (all times EDT). First post is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. on both days. For more information, call (502) 636-4402.
Permitted Items on Kentucky Derby and Oaks Days.
Banned Items on Kentucky Derby and Oaks Days
• Coolers allowed in INFIELD ONLY through Gates 1 & 3. NO COOLERS IN THE INFIELD CLUB. Contents may include non-alcoholic beverages (no glass containers), ice and food packaged in clear plastic containers. All coolers are subject to search.
• Food items in clear plastic bags (maximum size 18” X 18” - no trash bags)*
• “Box” lunches in clear plastic bags or containers (max. size 18” X 18”, no trash bags)
• Sunscreen (non-glass containers only)
• Small Personal Music Systems, Radios and Televisions** (No Boomboxes)
• Cellular Telephones**
• Cameras and Camcorders**
• Seat cushions (without back)
• Purses (subject to search)
• Baby Bags (subject to search)
• Strollers (ONLY if carrying a child)
• Chairs (Gate 3 ONLY)
• Pop-Up Tents (Gate 3 ONLY)
• Blankets & Tarpaulins (Gates 1 & 3 ONLY)
* Limit of two bags per person ** Patrons may be required to turn on electronic items
• Glass bottles or containers
• Alcoholic Beverages
• Luggage (includes briefcases)
• Duffel Bags
• Weapons (including knives)